Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Book Trailer of the Week: Movie Version of "Room" to Be Released This Fall



It really doesn't seem like I read Emma Donoghue's Room more than four years ago, but I see that I reviewed it way back on June 20, 2011.  As I said at the time, reading a whole novel written in the voice of a sheltered, young child was a fascinating experience.  I hope that the movie version captures that whole sense of innocence and awe...from this trailer, it looks as if it just might pull it off.  (It does appear, though that the child's gender has been flipped for the movie.)

As I said in the review linked to above:
Unbeknownst to Jack, his mother has not seen the outside of Room for the seven years she has been Old Nick’s prisoner.   Without Jack, Ma would have no reason to go on living.  She has created an entire world for the boy inside this small space, a world in which she is the source of all knowledge, love, and support.  The outside world makes its way into Room only because Old Nick allows the pair a small television set, but Ma is the one who decides what Jack will watch and how what he sees will be interpreted for him.  Imagine a world in which Room is all that is real, and everything seen on television is make-believe.  That is the way Jack sees the world.

 I'm looking forward to this one...even knowing how it ends.  Heck, even the trailer gives that away.  Not sure how smart that was.

Post #2,530

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.