Saturday, July 14, 2012

Write Like the Wind, George R.R. Martin...please!

Never having read one of George R.R. Martin's books, I cannot claim to be anxiously awaiting his next book in the popular A Song of Ice and Fire series, the first volume of which is The Game of Thrones.  I do know that I see references to Game of Thrones everywhere I look lately, so I am probably one of the exceptions to the rule here.  But I can easily identify with a fan's impatience with a favorite author who is slow to sell him his next book fix - are you listening, Pat Conroy?

That's why this video makes me laugh.  Book nerds make me proud sometimes...




(There might be a quick ad at the beginning of this one...be patient because it is well worth the wait.)

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure the authors get tired of the "please write faster" chants, and I can sympathize with that, but I've also been the addicted reader of several series that were never completed due to unforeseen circumstances. Fanfic can help ease the pain, but it's not nearly as good as getting the next book by the original author.

    One of these days I need to try George R.R. Martin, just to see what all the fuss is about. Most everyone I know who has read that series finds it to be highly addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Drones series does seem to be very addictive even though there's evidence in this song that it is overwritten in the style of Tolkien..."six page descriptions of every meal eaten," etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, a bit of a Freudian slip in my previous comment. That should be Thrones, not Drones. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I have not ever read even one of this guy's books -- but I worked with a fellow who would RACE to the store on the day a new Martin book was released.
    This video is really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's another of those booklover cults, Cip...once an author or series reaches that status, the author can't count the cash fast enough to make bank deposits...every writer's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of his work yet either but I have the first on my Nook so I know I will get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His books are not something I will ever read, Kathleen, but I do have to admire the enthusiasm of his fans. That's always a good thing - but the Thrones stuff is just another genre thing that does not appeal to me in the least.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.