Sunday, July 08, 2012

From Abandoned Wal-Mart to Beautiful Public Library

I am cheered by the news that the South Texas city of McAllen has a huge, new public library - in fact, at over 124,000 square feet, it is the "largest single-story library in the U.S."  And I am particularly impressed that the building is a former Wal-Mart store that is said to have been abandoned by its owners.  How cool is this, book lovers?

(I am going to share a few pictures from the architect's website under the assumption that they will welcome me spreading the word about this great project.  If that is not the case, MS&R Architects, please let me know and I will immediately remove the pictures.)





For more information, including a floor plan and list of awards won by this project, please visit the MS&R Architects website by clicking on this link.

To see larger versions of these images, just click on one of them.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! What a great development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they reused this space and turned it into a library. A great idea and one that avoided a new build altogether. I hope the community will support it by checking out many, many, many books and other things to keep those circulation numbers up!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.