Sunday, April 22, 2012

Texas Bluebonnet Trails - 2012

Texas was blessed with some beautiful weather this weekend (after experiencing a deluge on Friday night here in Southeast Texas), so we decided to hit one of the state's nicer Bluebonnet Trails on Saturday.  This is also the weekend of the annual Bluebonnet Festival in Ennis (about 30 miles south of Dallas) so there was quite a bit going on - but the good stuff is to be found on the area's three Bluebonnet trails.  This seems to have been an outstanding year for Bluebonnet flowers in that part of the state (about 180 miles north of where I live), so it was a Saturday well spent.

These pictures don't really do justice to seeing these spectacular displays in person, but they will give you an idea of what it was like, I hope.  Click on the photos for a much larger image.





Some of these fields, from a distance, were so completely covered that they looked more like water than a field of flowers.  Sadly, these blooms will probably last for less than two more weeks - but they will be back next near thanks to an initiative that Lady Bird Johnson started way back when.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos capture the color beautifully and & I imagine it's stunning to see the entire fields! Lady Bird left a lot of beauty, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Debbie, pictures never seem to do justice to anything with any depth, such as these huge fields of flowers. I knew that going in but I was still a little disappointed by the results. I do think the colors (at least on my Mac) are pretty accurate though. It was a fun way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.