Friday, April 13, 2012

The Flannery O'Connor Homeplace

It's Friday...finally, and I'm pooped after having spent most of the day accompanying my wife to her eye examination by a local eye surgeon.  The good news is that she will soon be restored to the best vision she will have had in at least the last two decades.  The bad news is that the surgery is done in the Houston Medical Center area- home to some of the best medicine in the world, but not an easy place to get to during Houston's maddening rush hour.  But we survived appointment number one - six more visits in the next 6 weeks and we'll be done (first eye is scheduled for May 24).

So, in the spirit of taking it a bit easy this evening, I'm going to share a YouTube video highlighting Flannery O'Connor's old home place and working farm, Andalusia.  I have not been lucky enough to tour the grounds and home, but the look reminds me of William Faulkner's home in Oxford, Mississippi.  I have visited that one twice and still have vivid memories of walking the grounds all alone shortly after daybreak.  It was both a bit eerie and inspirational.  I suspect that a visit to Andalusia would have much the same effect if one could see it as alone as possible - solitude is the key to a memorable exploration of such a place.



3 comments:

  1. I hope those eye appointments will all be behind you and your wife soon! Andalusia Farm looks like a place I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it all goes well. It's hard to believe that there is traffic inside the loop now, but things have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, y'all. This is something we've needed to do for a while and really look forward to the results. You know, as an avid reader, the loss of my eyesight is the most devastating thing imaginable.

    Factotum, it was said a few days ago that there are now almost 6 million people in the Houston region...not all in city limits, but within easy enough driving distance to work here or come in on weekends, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.