Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Real World 1, Me 0

Man, do I need a vacation!

After seven days away from the reality of work, family, and personal obligations I slammed back into the real world today - and the real world kicked my butt.  My "Monday" began with an eight a.m. dental appointment, meaning that I got to the office about 2 1/2 hours later than I normally do.  That would not necessarily be a bad thing but, since I was still traveling on Monday and Friday is a holiday, I somehow have to cram five days worth of work into the middle three days of the week.  That is not going to be easy - especially since I left the office at my regular time in order to see the first game of a Little League doubleheader involving my youngest grandson.  Just two days to go, and I didn't make much of a dent in the workload today.  Oh, and my brother, whom I see only two or three times a year, is in town staying with my father.

Also, for the first time in Book Chase history, I am five books behind on my reviews: This Book Is Overdue (Marilyn Johnson), The Bone Garden (Tess Gerritsen), Long Gone (Alafair Burke), Saturday (Ian McEwan), and The Prodigal Hour (Will Entrekin).  Since the Entrekin book is going to be released on July 1, I'm moving it to the top of the queue - look for that one on June 30.

I feel like I've walked into a buzz-saw, but I would not trade last week's experience for anything.  This, too, shall pass.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me be a part of your week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed seeing you and Cindy again after two years, Jan. It was an amazing week and, all things considered, it went really smoothly. I hope your mother is doing well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every vacation seems to do this to me! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that gets behind on reviews! I was three behind last week but now I'm down to one! :) Hang in there, you'll catch up! And like you said, the vacation is always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The speed of life today is just scary, Andy. Always too much to do and not enough time to get it all done. I don't remember my parents living like this or complaining about not having free time...we are just too "connected" today to ever really escape and I think that causes a new kind of mental fatigue that earlier generations never experienced.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.