Thursday, September 03, 2009

My Biggest Book - Of All Time

I've chosen to take the question posed at Booking Through Thursday this week literally:

What’s the biggest book you’ve read recently?

(Feel free to think “big” as size, or as popularity, or in any other way you care to interpret.)

It just so happens that I recently read a really big book - one so heavy that I read it only at my desk, a couple of chapters at a time. This one is not something to be stuffed into a backpack and carried off to the office; neither it is a book that most would consider for late night reading in bed. What it is, though, is one of the very best photographic books I have ever read, just the right combination of high quality photos and meaningful essays on America and her version of democracy.

I just reviewed Visions of America: Photographing Democracy last week, so it is fresh on my mind. I have, in fact, revisited my favorite photos two or three times since posting my thoughts.

So why do I consider this to be a big book? Well, it weighs in at seven pounds, measures 12 inches across and 12 inches high, and an inch and a half thick. This is a whopper of a gorgeous book. Best of all, though, is what's inside. If you enjoy books of photographs, this one offers excellent quality and wonderful photos. (See my review for details.)

8 comments:

  1. I recently finished Pat Conroy's "South of Broad", a book I had been waiting on like everyone else for 14 years. Much to my disappointment, it doesn't live up to his past works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is big!

    I read a poetry book last week. It is only 56 pages. But took me a while. It is small in size but big otherwise!

    Booking through Big

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaston, I'm about 40% of the way through "South of Broad" and I like it a lot to that point. I sure hope I don't agree with you by the time I finish, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gautami, most poetry is "big" to me because it takes me forever to come close to the poet's intended meaning. I just don't have an ear for poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane, and I was very impressed. It's 700 pages long and covers a year in the life of two men- one black and one white- in 1919-20. I was halfway through and I bought "Shutter Island" because I really want to keep reading his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed both of those also, Mayra. Lehane is one of my favorites, especially his early detective series.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.