Friday, June 12, 2009

Where This One Belongs

I abandon something in the range of 6 to 12 books in an average reading year but I seldom mention them by title or tell why I made the decision to toss them aside. Every so often, however, one of those books will irritate me so much that I decide to document exactly why I tossed it in the trash. My recent experience with Susan Faludi’s The Terror Dream is one of those cases.

The Terror Dream is Faludi’s attempt to make sense of America’s reaction to the 9-11 murders. Granted, she has her facts pretty much in order; the problem is how she twists those facts to the degree that her book becomes little more than an attempt to transform the attack on the United States to an attack on feminism. According to Faludi, America had a “nervous breakdown” of sorts after the attacks and reverted to a relationship between the sexes that confined women to the roll they played in 1950s America.

Yes, men were the ones cast almost exclusively in the roll of heroes. Yes, women were usually portrayed as victims needing the protection of men, including some portrayals of females in the military. Yes, most editorialists and other media commentators in the 9-11 aftermath were men, and women in those jobs were largely ignored or even ridiculed. People, male and female, alike seemed comforted by an image of America from a safer period, a time when men like John Wayne were national heroes. No argument from me on any of this – it did happen.

What I quickly grew bored with, and then irritated by, however, is Faludi’s rather selfish insistence upon making this huge national tragedy into some kind of personal insult to her and her feminism-dominated cohorts, as if nothing else matters and no good at all came from the country’s temporary retreat from feminism and what is its often shrill message. I got through about 30% of the book before Faludi’s constant whining and shrieking about Fox news, President Bush and his team, and conservative commentators and publications got on my nerves. To be fair to Faludi, she did point out that this message was not being communicated strictly by conservative outlets. However, the worst of her dripping sarcasm was most often directed at Bush and conservatives, especially as regards the whole Bush White House team.

When I looked ahead in the book and noticed that the remaining 70% was more of the same, I gave up. How anyone can read this repetitive nonsense for 368 pages is beyond me. How I made it through almost 120 pages of it is also beyond me now that I look back.

I recommend this book only to the most radical of feminists, to whom this will be a red meat message. Others should beware.

4 comments:

  1. First off I would like to say I am a woman, and that I do believe there is whole lot of inequality out there. Of course, it doesn't end at inequality between the sexes. There is racial inequality and inequality between the haves and the have-nots. Second I don't think I will be reading The Terror Dream. I am not a big fan of whining either, and I maybe I'm blind but I don't really see 9-11 as being a huge setback for women's rights. It sounds like yet another political diatribe, and I can't tolerate those, no matter which side of the fence they are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osama Bin Laden is the leader of a sect who wants to turn back the clock of time with an extreme rigt-wing male-dominated agenda that forces women to be submissive to their men and wear burkas. After 9/11, the United States, due to soul-destroying fear, adopted an extreme right-wing male-dominated agenda with evangelical Christian dominance where women are submissive to their husbands. In changing the United States into a society similar to right wing Muslim extremists, Osama Bin Laden succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, excuse me for not thinking this is an issue about which I need to worry. It was a temporary thing, in the first place, and was the fartherist thing from bin Laden's mind when the attacks were planned and executed.

    I am for equal rights for all, regardless of sex or race or religeon. However, I find those who believe this to be the biggest issue of 9-11 to be just as extreme as those they are whining about. Sorry. I just can't take this issue seriously and that a whole book was devoted to it is, in my opinion, ludicrous and a waste of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Alissa. Those are my main complaints with the book...seldom have I seen such misplaced priority regarding a tragedy of this magnitude. I only know of one other Faludi book, and it's own my shelves...whether I pick it up any time soon is now doubtful. I have to get rid of this bad taste in my mouth first.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.