Saturday, June 13, 2009

7th Grader Reads 503 Books in Nine Months

Seventh grader Demarcus Porter received a special medal from his teacher at the end of the school year, a well deserved award to recognize his outstanding reading feat. (Read the whole story here at the Truman Democrat.)

Porter, a Truman, Arkansas, student read an astounding 503 books during the school year, over 50 books a month, more than a book every day of the school year.
"I knew I was going to win," Porter said. "It gave me an excuse to read."

His reading list included all seven books in the Harry Potter series along with Twilight and Eragon series and several graphic novels in the Narto series to name a few.

He even read a history of China which he said was about "three inches thick."

Porter said he got most of the books from the school library but also would find a good comfortable chair to read in whenever he was at Barnes and Noble in Jonesboro.

"They have a little section there where you can read books," Porter said. "I'd read my favorites there."

Porter said he enjoys all types of books but especially likes history and old joke books the best and stories with a moral point to them.
Apparently, Demarcus is also an athlete and he will be spending his summer getting into football shape, costing him some reading time, but he plans to keep his mind in shape at the same time by continuing to be a regular reader.

Congratulations, Demarcus. You have a bright future ahead of you, young man.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed. When I read the headline I thought perhaps he had read a bunch of easy books way below his level (Hey, I've seen this before when I worked in the library!) but he actually read an impressive list of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's magnificent.

    LOL the name of the newspaper...at first, I thought he was from MO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an impressive accomplishment. I hope he continues to be an avid reader all his life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a negative, pessimistic person - I was less impressed after reading that some of his books were graphic novels.

    I know, I know - it's wrong. It's still quite an accomplishment. I wish more kids were like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real feel good..

    wish more kids would read...

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.