Friday, April 24, 2009

Alabama Library Suffers New Low in Vandalism

The Bay Minette, Alabama, public library has suffered one of the most despicable acts of vandalism imaginable. It is not only that $650 worth of books was destroyed - it is the type of books that were chosen for destruction and how they were destroyed that makes this crime particularly difficult to stomach.

From the website of WKRG News 5 (CBS):
The Bay Minette Police Department is investigating what they're calling one of most sickening cases they've ever been involved with. Somebody urinated on more than 40 books inside the public library. The books were worth 650 bucks...all of them were in the religious section. Books about Jesus Christ, Christmas and faith are covered in urine and are now worthless. Bay Minette's mayor says the act of vandalism was vile, sickening and unbelievable.

"It was disgusting," says Mayor Jamie Tillery. "It was an act of vandalism against the entire city. We will not tolerate vandalism of any sort."

Librarians filed a police report and put the damaged books inside plastic trash bags. The books will eventually be thrown out.

I suspect that this was done by a young person and not an adult. Either way, though, someone needs to pay the price here, including a good dose of public humiliation to make sure this kind of thing does not happen again.

12 comments:

  1. What a wicked, malicious and evil act. We can only hope and pray that someone comes forward with information about this horrific act.

    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles W. Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I don't know about the perp being a kid--I can think of plenty of adults who would do something so stupidly puerile and call it expressing their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But -- but -- Piss Christ was a work of art, subsidized by taxpayers. How is this different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to work in a public library, and after somebody decided to place an open urine-filled soda bottle in the book drop we briefly considered a "NO PEEING IN THE BOOK DROP" sign. Perhaps a more general "NO PEEING ON THE BOOKS" sign is in order in this case.

    Also I wouldn't be so sure if this was a youngster. If this had happened at the library I used to work at, a few likely suspects jump immediately to mind and they are by no means young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cate, I have to doubt that the culprit will be caught unless he is truly deranged enough to repeat the crime. It is a shame the library didn't capture this on tape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jena, I'm afraid you might be correct - this does sound more like what a sick adult would do rather than what an impulsive kid would think of doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silly me, factotum. This is probably a starving artist looking for a little of my tax money - if he would just step up, I might make a direct contribution... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alissa, I always tend to overestimate the taste and morality of the general public and I'm usually shown to be wrong by those who have more experience dealing with the public. I expect you are nearer the truth than I was in my original post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me sick. I can't imagine doing such a thing to any book. I wouldn't even piss on Mein Kampf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is truly disgusting, but somehow someone will excuse away their behavior because they're troubled teens!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.