Saturday, April 18, 2009

24-Hour Read-a-Thon

Hour 1

Well, here I am with all my good intentions in tow to begin this year's Read-a-Thon.

I'm reading from my father's house where I've been staying for the last 9 days as he recovers from a 9-day stay in the hospital. The weather here is cool and wet - we had some really heavy rain come through the area yesterday evening - perfect reading weather.

I don't have any particular goals for the next 24-hours other than to cram in a whole lot of reading in between whatever needs to be done during the day and night for my father - meal prep, dispensing meds, etc. Honestly, I don't know what to expect and I wonder how many hours I'll make it before crashing.

I have six books here with me and I expect to be changing from one to the other every couple of hours, hopefully finishing at least one, maybe two of them, during the day.

Two of the books are ARCs I received this week:


Rooftops of Tehran - Mahbod Seraji
Saints in Limbo - River Jordan

Two are books that have been in my TBR for a while:

Father and Son - Larry Brown
Case Histories - Kate Atkinson

One is a book I've been stuck on for a few days, finding the writing style a bit tough to handle:

The Glenn Miller Conspiracy - Hunton Downs

The last is the Library of America collection of John Cheever short stories

So here we go.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragment, Ted. It's raining here again and I need to get to the barber - book in hand as I wait my turn there. 23 hours to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be those John Cheever stories that get you through I bet. Short story jewels for breaks. Good luck today and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting list! Enjoy your reading, Sam. I'm cheering you on (and an extra cheer for your Dad, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the weather cooperated for you. You're a great son and a great reader. The Cheever short stories are a great idea for a readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your dad is well on his way to recovery! You could read out loud to him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sam. Good luck with your reading today. I am a little under the weather so I am laying in bed reading The Suicide Index. I highly recommend it. I got it Thursday at the library and I can't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for stopping by, y'all. I've just returned home from the barber - wouldn't you know it that the one time I wouldn't have minded waiting for my turn I was first in line? Still got in a little reading during hour two, but hour three is getting away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rainy days are the perfect days for reading; it's sunny and beautiful here, which makes it soooo tempting to head outside instead of be in here. Oh well :)

    Good luck with the Read-a-Thon!
    Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.