Friday, April 25, 2008

Mary Badham and Harper Lee


I find it a bit sad, but not surprising considering Harper Lee's love of privacy, that Mary Badham who played Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird" has not spoken with Miss Lee since about the time the movie was released. What is surprising is that the book and movie still have a huge impact on her life as this short article from The Birmingham News describes:


Now 55 and living in rural Virginia, Badham has long since lost touch with Lee, who has staunchly and successfully maintained her privacy since "To Kill a Mockingbird" came out.

"I figure she knows how to get in touch with me if she wants to call me," Badham says. "But I don't want to bother her.

"I'd love to talk to her, just to say thank you for my life and that I hope I'm doing a good job with what has become my life, working with this book and the film."

Although Badham gave up acting when she was 13, she still goes all over the country and around the world talking to schoolchildren and literacy groups about both the book and the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird."
For what it's worth, Wikipedia says that, "At present Badham is an art restorer and a college testing coordinator. Married to a school teacher, and the mother of two..."

6 comments:

  1. "To Kill a Mockingbird" remains one of the best books I've ever read. So much so that I read it again every few years. Thanks for the post. Reminds me that I'd due!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I love to read about what has happened to people since loving them in a film. Like so many others, To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book AND movie. Gregory Peck was perfect as Atticus, and Ms. Badham was perfect as Scout. Glad to see she's happy and still involved with the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book and film have become part of American culture for sure. I am always curious about those who created it or were part of it at all. I was happy to spot this story myself...it's always good to see that someone is still happy with their work from so many years before and that it is still part of their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She came and spoke to a group of us librarians at the Alabama Library Assc. (AlLA), and I found her incredibly warm and funny. She actually told us that Harper didn't spend much time on set and hardly said Boo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her picture gave me the exact impression of her that you described, Maggie.

    BTW, love the pun...

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.